Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Leadership Call

I've been teaching (and learning) an adult Sunday School class at church and lately the content has been largely intersecting with my journey of analysis of my personal gift of leadership. True leadership has the tendency of being very, very lonely at times - this is not the case under the paradigm where "everyone is a leader", but it is a reality for those called into leadership roles. The Old Testatment recounts the story of the nation of Israel including the exodus of the people from slavery in Egypt into the wilderness and ultimately into the land they were promised. Although being delivered from slavery through miraculous things (passover, plagues, Red Sea), as time passed and things became uncomfortable, the people would start complaining and "grumbling" against Moses. Then God (through Moses) would meet the need of the people (water, food, etc) and the people would be content; but only for a time and they would start grumbling again.

As I reflected on the story from both a faith and a leadership perspective, I am reminded of the harsh reality of leadership. Part of this story confirms what I feel from time to time and I find comfort in knowing that I have shared in some of Moses troubles. But part of the story also causes me to look for affirmation of the leadership gift in me, but also make sure I know what I can lean on when the fires and loneliness of leadership hits.

No comments: