Friday, October 5, 2007

Authenticity

I lead a weekly discussion group at work and we are going through henry Cloud's book, "Integrity: the courage to meet the demands of reality.". During the lunch discussion yesterday, we talked about leadership, success, etc and their relationship to integrity, character, values, etc. The discussion led to the current "big thing" in leadership... Authenticity. Today's leader needs to be authentic. We didn't talk about it, but I believe being authentic requires a humble spirit and the willingness to be transparent.

I took an intentional step toward this on Wednesday night. I finished the initial draft of a script for a sermon I am giving Sunday. Then I did something I had never done before - partly because I had never had the lead time, but mostly out of fear and pride. I submitted my script to my wife and 3 pastors I know very well. I asked them to tear it apart (if they have time) and give any insights, recommendations, areas of confusion, etc. This can be humbling, but the feedback I have already received is going to make the message significantly more transformational.

Now these are not people I "lead" but integrity requires an integrated, whole, consistent life. By intentionally being transparent and humble through this, my hope is that it leads to greater overall authenticity.

Of course, I was proud of the fact I was humble, so there ya go...

No comments: