Sunday, October 14, 2007

Character

Whoa, I've been surrounded by discussions about character. I've talked about our discussion of the Henry Cloud book on "Integrity" which is about integrity of character. Tonight I was reading a copy of BGC World and there was a discussion on character that also talked about the meaning of the word integrity in the context of character.

However, it was a humerous (to me) comment about character that got me blogging about this tonight. I was watching part of the Gopher football game yesterday and found myself both amused and frustrated. As it turns out, now that there are about 8,000,000 football games on in a given weekend, the quality of the announcers drops... especially when the game involves teams with a grand total of 1 big ten win between them. Anyway, the Gophers scored a touchdown on what was really a great catch. In describing the replay, the announcer said, and I quote, "Character is what you are when no one is watching and Jones showed character on that catch."

I was a bit confused because he must have forgotten there were people in the stadium and also that he was broadcasting to a TV audience -- now, admittedly, I may have been the only one watching a Minnesota / Northwestern football game, but still.... there were more people watching than "no one." I also find it funny that someone's athletic ability implies that they have character (I think there have been one or two examples where the two are not necessarily related).

I realize that I'm tired when things like this seem as funny as this one does to me... perhaps it is my warped sense of humor. I was sitting in my recliner, working on my laptop, all by myself, and I literally said, outloud, "Did he really say that?".

"Character is what you are when no one is watching and Jones showed character on that catch."

No comments: