Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Motion detectors

So, last night I'm in my MBA class and the back set of lights kept shutting off; aparently the motion detector wasn't detecting any motion. All of the learners in the back of the room would start flailing their arms and rocking back & forth to get them to turn back on. After 5-10 seconds, the lights would turn back on. Then 2-3 minutes later the cycle would repeat. It was hilarious - I had the giggles the entire night from it.

I feel this way sometimes when I parent. I flail my arms and make all kinds of contorted moves to get my kids lights to turn on and when they do I'm excited. But a little time goes by and the lights go back off and I need to start flailing again.

I think God is this way with me. He flails His arms to get my attention and when I detect the motion, the lights go on and I get some revelation about God, life, me, etc. However, in my human-ness, the lights go back off after a little while when I don't detect any motion. God probably gets frustrated and starts flailing His arms again only to repect the cycle. My job as a Christ-follower is to make sure that my detector is set to the appropriate level to detect the motion of God; I want to live in a place where the lights are always on and God doesn't need to keep flailing His arms.

No comments: