Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Cause & Effect

I had this dream Sunday night that I robbed a bank because I needed some cash and then as I was driving a way I noticed someone taping me with a video camera so I ran them over with my car. This was odd. Certainly the transition from corporate work to church work creates its financial challenges, but I hadn't seriously considered the potential of robbing a bank. I also don't feel that running someone down in my car would be a WWJD moment.

But this isn't the strangest part. In my dream I went to work the next day as if nothing happened and the police came and arrested me and I was shocked. But I wasn't shocked because they figured out it was me... I was shocked because what I had done was wrong. In the dream, I was confused that I had done something wrong. I knew I had robbed the bank and ran someone over, but for some reason I felt that was not wrong.

I pondered this throughout the day yesterday and wondered if the application for my life is around how many times I perhaps do something "wrong" and either don't even notice it or brush it off when, in fact, there are consequences. I wonder if the call I hadn't gotten around to making has more ramifications than I think. I wonder about gossip; I wonder about eating poorly; I wonder about all the things in my life that aren't what they should be and I wonder if in some way I'm getting "arrested" either physically, relationally, or spiritually because of them.

This sounds like a lot of pressure and perhaps its overstated, but it's caused me to re-think cause and effect a titch.

No comments: