Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Soccer = Mentor?

Well, I finally have a decent analogy to describe how mentoring can be effective. As many of you know, I am a huge believer in effective mentoring to help navigate the white waters and, for that matter, even the still waters of life, love, vocation, family, relationships, development, etc. When people ask me about my mentor and the value it adds to my life, I'm able to give a decent answer, but sometimes its hard to really put my finger on the value.

Last night I was playing soccer with my 3 kids. We played a round robin tournament where we played 3 games with each game being a different kid with me versus the other two. They each consider themselves pretty fancy soccer players but, at the end of the day, my team won all 3 matches. Even my 8 year-old daughter and I took down the 11-year old boys. They each have more endurance than my 37 years can handle; they are much quicker than my steel-plated & screwed legs can handle; they can at least challenge me in a foot race. However, they don't have the wisdom I bring and the ability to strategically break down a defense, appropriately position myself, know when to pass or shoot, know when to run at the person with the ball and when to stay back, etc.

This is what my mentors are to me. As I scurry around the soccer field getting worn out and not really being that effective or at least confused on the next step, they offer the voice of reason, wisdom, & strategy.... they are the coach that helps me understand when to just hold the ball and examing the defense, when to run with all my might and when to hold back, when it's the right time to shoot and the right time to pass off. But more than my coach, I find that my mentor becomes my teammate which joins me in the game and allows me to see first hand how the game can be more effectively played with patience, wisdom, and insight -- hear this clearly: It's no less passionate, but it's passion harnessed & focused toward effectiveness.

I wonder if this makes sense to anyone, but it seemed logical at the time! Perhaps I got hit in the head with the soccer ball too many times....

No comments: