Friday, October 12, 2007

HIV/AIDS

Today I will be participating in the Transforming Church Initiative presented by the Bethel University seminary. For the past couple of years I have had a pull to get into the global battle against HIV/AIDS. We have done some things personally, but how does a 3-year old church with limited resources get into the battle? I am excited & nervous about attending this all-day seminar.

I'm excited about making connections with others of the same heart and learning about possibilities for the New Hope Community Church family to take its place in the battle.

I'm nervous that I'm going to leave there with the same Holy discontent I have felt before around this issue. That I won't be able to eat or sleep or whatever knowing that people are dying in the world and we are not in the battle to save them.

I know in my head that each person and organization is called to fulfill a specific purpose which is not to participate in every "cause." Could it be, however, that there are some "causes" that every person, church, business, and community are required to get involved in?

I'm sure it will be a day of high emotion; it would be easier to close my eyes and not look. I believe, however, that God is calling me to open my eyes wide and take a deep look - a look that not only raises awareness, but causes action - and not only action, but action that has impact. I don't want to be in the battle to say, "Look, I'm in the battle"... I want to be in the battle to make an impact toward victory.

It will be a good day. I'll be going right from there to play Texas Hold 'em with college buddies... it will be an interesting transition I do believe.

No comments: