Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"Old" age

I'm really starting to feel old. I don't feel physically old, but there are other signs that have really appeared.


For the past 3-4 years, I have been started being called "sir" a lot. It really drove me nuts at first but now I'm getting used to it. Those who know me are aware that I'm not worthy of a "sir" greeting, but there must be something about me that is triggering that greeting from others (could it be gray hairs?).


Yesterday I visited a friend in the hospital who had a knee replacement and I have another friend who is having one replaced today. Interestingly, my step-Dad just had both replaced over the past year. Does it mean something that people I consider friends are having knees replaced?


I hang around (and pursue relationships with) older people; I love to listen to them talk, hear their wisdom, etc. Part of this is the jobs I have and have had, but part of this is I think I'm drawn to them because I, too, am getting old.


I think it is funny to try to be "hip." If I really were hip, it wouldn't be funny and I wouldn't have to try. The fact that I have to try and I find it funny (as do my other old friends) tells me that I am old. I wonder what truly hip people think of my attempts.... probably, "what a funny old man!"


This all came to a head on Sunday when someone came up to my friend (SN) and I looking for prayer for something they were going through in their life. This person turned to my friend, who is exactly the same age, and said, "No offense, but I'd rather talk to someone older" and then turned to me. Up until this point I thought everyone my age had become "old" but I was forced to draw the conclusion that I appear to be aging faster than others -- or is SN just aging slower?


I think appearing older than I am has it's advantages. My concern is that if people think I'm 45-50 when I'm 37, how old will they think I am when I am 50. Perhaps I will be able to get seniors discounts in my 40's -- I guess that's good news!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, sir, for such a wise post. Perhaps you could blog about Medicare Part D soon?
--JD (aka "HP")