Monday, August 20, 2007

Blog split

Hey gang... I've decided based on feedback to create a second blog and split my purposes. This blog will continue to serve as my personal journey (goofy insights, struggles, etc). For those more interested in my perspectives and updates specifically related to my role as Executive Pastor of New Hope Community Church, I would welcome you to check out stevefredlundxp.blogspot.com.

The personal blog (this one) will continue to have posts each weekday (at least intended) and the xp blog will likely have updates twice/week. Thanks to those of you for your valuable feedback; I think this is a good solution.

As far as my personal journey goes, I just finished a stint of speaking two weeks in a row and a total of 3 of the last 5 weeks. I guess it might be a titch easier if it was part of my job, but its quite difficult when it is a total above & beyond kind of thing. Yesterday I felt great about the material but just never really at ease; typically when I have more of my message pre-planned (scripted), I feel less at ease... that was the case yesterday. Interestingly, my wife commented that I said "OK" about a million times and I never even realized that. I think there is a direct link between my "at ease-ness" and my using filler words (OK, Aaah, etc).

Why is it that I feel less at ease talking about something the more I have prepared? I think my strength area in communication is talking from the heart and the more I prepare (even though the preparations are from the heart) the more uncomfortable communicating I feel. Is this a case of less is more?

No comments: