Thursday, August 30, 2007

Jumpin' Bass

My two sons and I went out late tonight lookin' for some late night bass action and to try out some cheap new lights we bought for the boat. At the end of the night we were driving into the boat landing and fish were once again jumping all around us. We decided to pull into the shallows and try to land one of those bad boys. I was using a surface spinner; casting in deep and reeling fast to keep the lure at the surface. Five or six times a bass jumped out of the water going after the lure but missed or grabbed the lure but didn't get hooked. Talk about frustrating... we finally had the fish interested in what we had to offer, but they were apparently fish with poor mouth-eye coordination.

I feel like God is putting out his truth like a lure for me to grab on to and I keep jumping for the truth but it sometimes eludes me. I feel like I have a decent grasp of God and His truth, but there are elements I keep flopping around after but can't seem to clamp down on. For example: How do I reconcile the fact that "God is love" with the fact that most of the people who have ever lived in history will spend eternity separated from Him based on the traditional Christian view of salvation? Don't get me wrong, in my head I understand that God loved us so much that He paved the way for us to spend eternity with Him.... however, at the end of the day, most people will spend eternity in hell (whatever that is). How is that a loving God?

I'm not bringing this up to challenge theology, but to talk about how I flounder sometimes. I wonder if God ever gets frustrated with my inability to latch on to the truth in the same way I get frustrated with uncoordinated bass.

No comments: