Monday, August 13, 2007

The Day After

I had the extreme honor of speaking yesterday which can be a dangerous thing the day after coming off of a leadership event like Summit. I was pretty fired up about the redemptive potential of the local church, living my life with purpose, and inspiring people to be motivated for impact. I toned it down the best I could, but I know I was still fairly challenging to people.

Every time I speak I get the usual, "Good job", "nice message", etc, but you can usually tell how effective you were by those who seek you out specifically to give you feedback rather than those that just happened to see you. It will be interesting to see the perceptions of those people that I know will be ruthlessly honest with me either way (TF, SN, BB).

I'm especially interested to see the backlash from a few of my comments including "Christians need to learn how to party more" or "The filter we have set up to determine who is worthy to be our friends means we only end up with like-minded people; our group of friends consists of caucasian Christian straight Republican Viking fans with 3 kids." That is a fairly loaded statement and I'll be interested to see how much heat I take for it.

I'm glad I had an outlet for some of this passion but there is still plenty more. I'll end now -- feedback on these has been that they are "too long".... perhaps I need an executive summary at the beginning of them...

No comments: