Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Head vs Heart

Today is my last day in a stretch of 10 of 11 days not being at my job as an investment actuary; I normally work there 3 days/week but last week I took 2 of those 3 as vacation days to attend the Leadership Summit. Throw in 2 weekends and my Monday/Tuesday in the church office and there ya go.

I'm struggling a bit with keeping passion about the actuarial job; actually it's not that I have no passion for what I do there, its just that my passion for community transformation and global justice burns so white hot. I've started thinking about what I can do with my work environment that will help me stay motivated and focused in that position. There are so many advantages in that role and I think I need a picture, statue, or something that will continually remind me of those. That position has paved the way for my church position (flexibility and salary), allows me to use that deep problem-solving part of my mind that I enjoy, provides funds to be able to help several family members as well as engaging in the global poverty battle, creates financial security for my family, and allows me many opportunities to interact with people a lot different from me.

I know these things in my head. How do I push them into my heart to help me get through those 3 days/week with complete motivation and passion for the tasks at hand..... knowing that back home there are people in need of transformation and globally there are people dying from starvation every 3 seconds. I can separate these things on paper; but sometimes paper is trumped by the holy discontents of the heart.

1 comment:

Larry Fredlund said...

Bro - Surrounding yourself with inspirational items may help. Just this past Sunday, I asked a young artist from NHCC to create three graffiti texts (his preferred style of sketching/ painting/ air-brushing) of the words: MIND, BODY, SPIRT.

These commissioned pieces will become the centerpiece of three framed pieces that I will hang in my office.

Since my firm designs schools, clinics and churches, I'm hoping this artwork will remind me that the environments I design can actually encourage, permit, enable all who enter to optimize their MINDS(Schools), BODIES(Clinics) & SPIRITS (Churches).

Not that I fully understand what you do, but the financial security your work provides permits individuals to move past the "safety & security" level of the pyramid to higher levels of Love, Friendship, Self-Esteem, Confidence, Respect, and eventually self-actualization.

I am trying to discover how what I do could effect change at an individual level. It is very difficult for me as an architect...I always feel a couple steps away, and my efforts always feels like rationalization, not passion.

I hope my comment isn't longer than yours. I love your shorter blogs...ensures I read them all during my harried days.