Friday, August 24, 2007

Haircut

As many of you know, I can be as frugal as they come on some things and yesterday was one of those examples where my frugality was my downfall. I was working in Minneapolis and ran out over lunch to get my haircut (because skyway prices give me sticker shock). I thought I would try a neighborhood where I don't normally go to see what I could find and meet some new people (Walking Across the Room).

As I was driving I saw a sign for $6.00 haircuts.... GENIUS!!!! So I found a spot to park on the street and went in; it was then I realized that this was a haircutting school (red flag #1). As I was paying (in advance) I was given a sheet of paper for chair #17 with Jeremy. I found chair #17 and shortly Jeremy came up and started asking me what I was looking for. About a minute into what would be my 50 minute haircut, his manager (I assume) reminded him to put his smock on (red flag #2). I also saw in one chair how an instructor (I assume) was pointing to a guys hair and trying to explain how to make sideburns straight (red flag #3).

Anyway, Jeremy was a nice enough guy and the 50 minutes was spent as a study in human behavior and interaction. I watched as one younger guy stood in front of a mirror the entire 50 minutes with a trimmer working on fine-tuning his gotee. The guy cutting the hair of an elderly gentleman across from me kept calling people over to look at something on the back of the guys head -- they were fighting being audible with their laughter. I could tell who was just there at the school to pass time or whatever; and I could tell who was being serious about trying to learn to cut hair. It was very, very interesting.

As for my hair cut, let me sum it up in two questions/statements from my loving wife:
1) "Did you get your hair cut?" (this is funny when you consider that I usually allow my hair to get way to bushy and then cut it way too short -- never typically a question but obvious)
2) From this morning, "You are going to go get your hair cut today, right?"

I guess I'll chalk the $6 up as a Walk Across the Room toll in trying to meet new people...

No comments: