Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Fish Skunk

Last night I went fishing in the rain with one of my sons. For the first time the entire year we were totally skunked... we had some bites and lost some worms, but literally caught 0 fish. After a while we went and tracked down where the eagle was landing in the tree and we ended up anchoring the boat about 30 yards from where he sat up in the branch -- he would fly in and out of that tree... it was very cool.

The frustrating part is that fish were jumping all around us and we couldn't catch any of them. At one point a very large fish (likely a bass) jumped about 5 feet from the boat. We tried everything we had... casting, trolling, worms on the bottom, bobber fishing, lindy rigs, etc.

It made me think of leadership and some of the stuff I'm going through right now. I feel like I'm in the perfect fishing spot and using everything I can think of from my tackle box, but results still aren't what I'm hoping for. There are times I feel like I'm doing all I know to do (fishing styles) but my communication or leadership is ineffective (fish just swim by uninterested in what I have to say). There must be something about my leadership (fishing tactics) in certain situations that needs to be adjusted. I'm thankful for other leaders, people, conferences, etc, which challenge how I do leadership to help me be more effective; there also is no substitute for experience... sometimes just learning on the fly.

Speaking of "fly" - maybe I should learn fly fishing if all of these fish are jumping on the surface (presumably to grab bugs).

No comments: