Thursday, August 16, 2007

Wacky Cat

I think our cat is clinically insane. Is that possible? Or perhaps our cat has witnessed our goofy family and has conformed itself to our wackiness. Is that possible?

Our cat's name official name is "Diet Dr. Thunder Mifflin this is Pam Pam", which seems unrelated until you realize that our poor cat has been subjected to the bizarreness of our family since 6 weeks old including being given such an unfortunate name. The good news is that we typically go with "Thunder." Anyway, I believe Thunder has been observing us and now thinks he is human. He will sit in my lazyboy on his butt with his legs flat in front of him and his arms to his sides - that seems odd to me. He will also jump around as if someone (or something) is after him... which it is not. He will lay on top of the TV trying to catch the baseball or other things as they go off the edge of the screen. He will lay on his back with his head tilted way back in the off chance that someone will come by to rub his neck & belly; at which point he'll attack them. He's quite odd.

It makes me think a couple of things: 1) We are poor role models as I think he has taken on the personality of the family and 2) I wish I were more like him in that I didn't care what people thought so much. My thought here, of course, is assuming that Thunder doesn't care what we think - which I think is a safe assumption.

Our cat is wacky, but there is something enjoyable about his freedom to be himself; but also something disturbing about how his wackiness is representative of our family.

3 comments:

Larry Fredlund said...

Until your cat tries to slide into your sweat socks, I think these are reasonable behaviors... considering the "nurture" it's been exposed to.

Anonymous said...

Are their any spiritual or scriptural goals to this blog?

Steve Fredlund said...

To the question about spiritual or scriptural goals... my goal is to share my public journey which hopefully interweaves stuff going on in my life and insights I have which may or may not be seen as directly tied to spiritual and scriptural things. I do believe it naturally ties together, but no, I do not have any spiritual or scriptural goals.... I was simply encouraged to share my journey this way and that is my intent. If you are reading the blog as a sort of "devotional" you are likely to be very disappointed most days; the blog is intended for those interested in tracking with my journey and hearing insights (albeit often weird) and sharing as I try to learn more about myself and life.