Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Poker & Review

Last Friday night I played some low-stakes Texas Hold 'em with about 15 other folks, mostly from Thrivent. For about the first hour or two, I was doing great... I was likely the chip leader at my table of 6 or 7 people. But then the luck turned and I was playing overly aggressive to try to knock some people out and ended up having my stacks disappear and ultimately being one of the first to be eliminated. I remember thinking, "What just happened?"

Yesterday I had my annual review at church. One of the things I need to keep watch on is the pace with which I try to create systems, enhance programs, and start new things. Although we want continuous improvement and desire transformation through our ministry, we also want to make sure things happen on God's timing and not ours. We certainly want to keep up with the wave God is moving on , but we don't want to be out front of what He's doing. I can be like a buckin' bronco trying to leave the gate, but I need to make sure I don't let the gate open too early or I don't jump over the closed gate.

Yeah, there is a theme here. I get it... "Type A"... "Driver"... Perhaps there needs to be some new terms to describe this personality type: "BB (Buckin' Bronco)" or "All-in". Being like this sure helps a lot of stuff get done, but does require some additional attention and accountability (which I have in my pastor/boss, my awesome mentor, and my wife). I never thought I'd be comparing my annual review to a Texas Hold 'em game....

2 comments:

Larry Fredlund said...

...or let too many gates open at the same time. We "spectators" and participating "rodeo clowns" may not know which is the center ring.

PS, I noticed that only your mentor is Awsome. Tracy and Bill....you are Awsome too!

Bee said...

I nead to buy new computer, help me get it with adsense
http://helpgetcomputer.blogspot.com/