Saturday, August 4, 2007

Noodle brain

It's about 10:30pm and I'm sitting here on a hotel bed in Brainerd, MN after enduring a marathon day of MBA residency. The residency kicks off a course on Informational Technology (IT) and how it should be used strategically inside organizations. The readings and now discussion have actually been much more interesting than I expected (sorry to any Bethel faculty or administration who are reading this). I love thinking about how "computer stuff" can be thought of in conjunction with our core "business" strategies rather than as a necessary evil. I can see a ton of application right now for the church I'm on staff with; we recently completed our strategic plan and there are a lot of ways we can utilize technology to move forward strategically toward our purpose and vision. I continue to realize, as I mentioned earlier, that there are a lot of people out there with a lot bigger brains than I have -- one guy (PI) even got a standing ovation from me and a couple others after he brainstormed on the IT architecture of the Amazon.com technology model.

Anyway, as some of you know I am scheduled to speak each of the next two Sundays... but I've not yet started preparing. I do have some notes I received that will be used to help prepare the message, but they are just sitting next to my feet right now... as I look to the right of the laptop (ironically sitting on my lap) I can see them there... staring at me... seemingly asking for me to take a look. But I'm tired. I start wondering when I'll take the time to start preparing. I have my MBA from 11-4 tomorrow, drive back and then go to an outdoor baptism service (one of my highlights each year). Monday and Tuesday are packed with meetings & commitments during the day and at least one of the nights; Wednesday is my only day at work in the cities; all day Thursday and Friday plus Saturday morning I'll be attending the Leadership Summit.... then Sunday is here and time to share.

It will be tough to find time to prepare, but yet here I sit... blogging. Blogging doesn't seem that important of a thing to do, yet I love it. I'm right now wondering why I love it. I guess I enjoy sharing my thoughts (although often odd) and I enjoy the feedback I get from you (mostly by email and phone because you are too bok-bok to comment on line). One person (DH) told me when I first started the blog what a create creative outlet in could be as well as how therapeutic it could be. He was exactly right... I feel invigorated sharing my thoughts and it also feels therapeutic; not like those water foot massagers, but more of a heart massaging. It seems to do me good to creatively articulate what is in my heart. It might seem like I get it, but I really don't... I'm just enjoying it.

Anyway, I believe this is my most loosely structured entry since I started... I better go and start staring again at the papers I could be using to prepare my message. Or I could sleep... perhaps even a more spiritual thing to do. I miss my wife and kids. G'night.

2 comments:

Melody said...

Your comment that blogging doesn't seem that important to do but you love it, reminds me of how important it is for us to all slow down when we are running at full throttle. So much on our plates, so many responsibilities, etc. A leadership devotional I once read talked about the needs for a margin. Simply put, its a reserve or just time to take a breather. So often, we all move so fast that we often lose touch with God’s voice. We all need to take time to slow down and breathe in order to continue to grow and get to know the Savior as a friend.

We all need to recognize what our limits are and make sure we take the time to recharge ourselves. So even though you have many serving's on your plate, blogging is perhaps your way to "re-charge". Of course, it's also important to have good discernment and not put off what you need to accomplish too long, expecially if there are other stakeholder's involved. :) Also, I think it is always important to anticipate the unexpected and be certain we have a plan in place.

Blog on Steve and have a good one

Anonymous said...

Steve,
With so little time to prepare;it is a good thing you speak your messages from the heart and what you share is what you totally feel and believe. That is why you do such a good job. You are correct however; you should at least go over the notes so you know what your message is to tell us.(and condense it from 8 hrs to 20 minutes or what time allows). I am driving down from WAY up North just to hear your message...maybe I should just come on the 19th... will you be better prepared for that Sunday??? Just joking. I know you always ask God to give you the right words to get your message out there and understood as well as to move the hearts/lives of the congregation. If you need some funny material, you could always call on your brother. el