Thursday, September 27, 2007

Commuting

Does anyone else get frustrated when there is a long line of traffic where lanes are converging and someone else goes as far as they can in the lane that is closing only to sneak (or force) their way in at the end? Oh, be honest.

This situation happens more often now with my path to Thrivent because of the 35W situation. And this late-merging frustrates me too, but I'm not sure why. Is it because it makes the person appear pretty arrogant and selfish and we all struggle with arrogant, self-centered people? Is it because it's not fair to those of us who are waiting patiently in line? Is it because of the implication that their time is more valuable than ours? I've struggled with this and I'm not sure why it is frustrating.

I don't get overly angry and I do try to just have grace for the person because I don't know what they are going through or why they are in a hurry.... perhaps their time is more valuable than mine. I think my biggest issue is not knowing why it bothers me... it really bothers me that I don't know why I'm bothered. If someone cuts it, it will result in about a 3 second difference in when I arrive somewhere... so even if 20 people do it, we are talking about one minute of difference. That is not enough of an impact to care about; so what is my core issue?

I don't have answers, just questions. But I do know that understanding the root cause could then lead to knowing how to internally deal with it. I don't suffer from road rage, but I don't like the fact that I'm even annoyed... I want to not care about it or waste any energy thinking (or blogging) about it again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just read a great post about dealing with road rage on "Dumb Little Man" (which, by the way, is a great blog). While a more severe condition than what you wrote about, I think it still ties in nicely and is a good read for all of us who experience driving frustrations -- mild or severe.