Thursday, September 20, 2007

Goal = Fun?

Is a primary goal in life to have fun? I'm not asking that as a rhetorical question or as a condescending question.... I'm asking it as a real question.

I've been challenging my kids recently that as they pray to just try not to use the word, "fun." This is primarily because their prayers tend to go something like this: "God, thank you for letting us have a fun day and I ask that we have fun tonight and fun tomorrow in school." Now, that is a sweet prayer, but it seems like the focus is too much on having fun. I know they are kids, but I'd rather hear things like, "Thank you God for giving me joy even though today was tough" or "God, please help me love other kids at school" or things like that.

I was reminded of this as I drove into work this morning. K102 was asking people to call in to share stories of teachers that have had the biggest impact on their life. One lady called in and, I swear, in about 30 seconds used the word "fun" 8 times. It went something like this (very paraphrased), "My favorite teacher was Mr. Johnson because he made science fun; it was so fun to go to his class because it was fun. Other teachers and classes weren't fun, but my friends and I always had fun in Mr. Johnson's class. That's why he is my favorite teacher." Now, I'm not bashing Mr. Johnson - he sounds great and I'm sure the fun led to more engagement which led to more learning. My point is that, for this gal, her favorite teacher was the one that she had the most fun with.

Does anyone else struggle with thinking fun is a main goal of our life? Don't get me wrong, I love to have fun... I enjoy laughter and joking around more than about anything. But I think there is a difference between aiming at "fun" and aiming at "joy." There can be joy in learning (which isn't always fun) or joy in building relationships, helping someone overcome adversity, rolling up your sleeves and digging in, physical labor, etc. Many of these aren't always fun, but they bring a deep sense of joy. I believe each of us has a purpose and fulfillment of that purpose (or movement toward that purpose) should be our goal which will bring us joy in feeling we are doing what we are made to do. But its not always fun. I think just having "fun" can be our shadow mission (credit John Ortberg) rather than our real mission.

4 comments:

Erik said...

But doesn't:

Fun=Instant gratification = Instant credit = instant big screen = 90 days no payments = better clarity = more friends = super bowl party = herein lies joy?

You and I are on the sojourn of raising kids that think life centers on fun (at least that is what the market-et-teers want them to think).

But heck, I grew up cleaning calf pens and milking cows. Fun was reserved for at least 2 hours per week....

Steve Fredlund said...

Erik (John)... my wife says "Amen to that" as she grew up on a dairy farm too.

Larry Fredlund said...

Bro - I've been in your cubicle farm. I think fun needs to be a goal once and a while for those folks. I believe I would go "postal" if I had to work in that chapel of work. PS it's beer friday here! Try that there, or Bill, how-about it, beer friday at the office HAHAHAHAH. Larry.

Lynn said...

Life is not about having fun. Life is about loving. If you can learn to love everything & everyone in your life, positive results will follow. Love yourself, your significant other, family, hobbies, completing tasks at work and at home with your whole soul. Fun will be a result of enjoying what you do because you love it, no matter what or who it is!