Friday, September 7, 2007

Passion / football

I was picking up a few things at the hotel gift shop before I left and a couple of people were talking about football. This hotel worker comes in and starts talking about the Steelers and how (of course) they are gonna be "awesome." One of the other guys says he is a Patriots fan. Without hesitation, the Steelers fan says, "Yeah, but they gotta come into our house on December 9th." I was amazed. I asked him, "Do you have the entire Steelers schedule memorized?" Quickly he said, "Oh yeah, the day the schedule came out."

I love passion in people. We can debate all we want about what we have passion in, but I'm so intrigued by people with passion... I love it. I've had a sign my wife bought me several years ago that is above my bathroom door. When I leave the bathroom I hit it like the Notre Dame Fighting Irish hit their sign above the locker room door when they leave. The Notre Dame sign says, "Play like a champion today." My sign says, "Got Passion?"

Now, I'm sure my brother will comment since he thinks he's not a sports fan (close caption to you: Hockey is a sport!). I'm sure my co-worker will comment on this who, for reasons I'll never understand, is in love with all teams from Chicago and the Buffalo Bills (you know who you are my Amish brother).

We (or at least I) are drawn to passion... it stirs something up deep inside of me that encourages me to be passionate. It can create conflict living out loud like that, but it makes me feel alive.

No comments: