Sunday, September 9, 2007

Marshmallow what?

Today (Sunday) culminated a crazy past week. We decided to spend the afternoon taking a Sabbath (now, there's an idea). We enjoyed a great lunch together, I went fishing for a couple of hours, then me and the kids had a campfire (while my beautiful bride worked on some stuff for school - yes, she broke her Sabbath). Anyway, the kids and I were killing two birds with one stone - burning up some wood from a clubhouse we had torn down and also enjoying the campfire and roasting marshmallows.

The kids were going to make s'mores, but realized we were out of graham crackers. They got the idea to instead just stick a piece of chocolate inside the marshmallow and then roast them together. After modifying the approach a few times, we fine tuned how to make this quite a tasty treat with the right "meltage" on the chocolate with the right consistency on the marshmallow. We decided the fine-tuned final product was worthy of a name. We tried several out and landed on "Marshmallow Poopers." If you do this right and see the end product, you, too, will realize this is an appropriate name. They taste terrific and I think the name is something that could catch on.

My kids told me to blog on this so we have a record that we thought of this first when this becomes a national craze. The only application of this for the rest of my life is that sometimes we don't have something we think we need and we can decide to scrap our plans... however, with a little ingenuity, trial and error, and persistence, the outcome can be better than even we had everything we thought we needed. I honestly think that even if there are graham crackers and I'm ever offered a s'more, I will probably say, "No thanks, but I'd love a marshmallow pooper!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, my sister and I would make marshmallow taffy instead of s'mores. We didn't have graham crackers OR chocolate! We'd take a marshmallow and stretch/pull using our index fingers and thumbs on each hand. It's hard to describe the zig-zag stretch without pictures, but it worked kind of like a real taffy machine. After a few minutes, the marshmallow would smooth out to silky goodness. Messy, but delicious treat!!

Larry Fredlund said...

I googled "marshmallow poopers" - - your blog was the only finding. I think you have a winner.