Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Texas Hold 'em

I was playing Texas Hold 'em this evening with my three kids (recently turned 11-year old twin boys and my nearly 8-year old daughter). This is a continuation of a game we started a few days ago and in which I'm basically cleaning house... I bluffed my way through a huge pot so I'm not dominating those twerps.

My daughter knows how to check, call, raise, and play her cards but she has not yet mastered the "poker face." OK, mastered isn't even the right word.... my daughter has no clue about how to keep a poker face. In the last hand we played tonight, there was one more card to come up (the "River") and before it was flipped, she said, "I hope I get the card I need!" as she called her brother's "all-in" bet. When the river was flipped she yelled, "Yes!" and started doing a little dance. Based on what was showing, it was obvious that she had drawn into a 5-card straight. She raised the pot significantly... my one son was already all-in, so this was a side pot. My other son had folded earlier and I just had a pair so I folded like a cheap tent.

As Annie pridefully showed her cards, she said, "I have a straight." I said, "Really... where is it?" She answered, "Ace, Two, Three, Four!" I said, "Honey, you need to have 5 in a row." Her response was to say, "I'm so dumb" and start banging her head down on the table. My all-in son quickly realized that although he didn't have squat, his squat beat his sister's squat, and he was able to stay in the game and improve his position.

I think I need to start playing with them for real money.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll play for money if we don't spend too much.