Sunday, September 30, 2007

Holcomb on leadership

So, I'm watching the Vikings lose to the Packers today and I was engrossed as I watched the antics of the Vikings quarterback - some guy named Kelly Holcomb. I'm not sure where he came from or how he ended up on our team; I do know he is not the normal quarterback (I think the other guy is hurt). Anyway, one time the Vikings completed a pass but there was a holding penalty on one of our guys. The camera zoomed in pretty tight on Holcomb as he looked to the coaches on the sideline, indicated it was a penalty on the Vikes, and then rolled his eyes.

Every leadership bone in my body shuddered.

Later in the game, a pass he threw was dropped by one of the Viking receivers. He lifted his arms up in disgust - not like someone thinking, "Oh, dang that was close" but more like "Of course... do I need to throw it and catch it."

Again, every leadership bone in my body shuddered.

My point is not to rip on Holcomb, but it solidified for me the impact our body language and initial reactions as leaders can have on those around us. I don't think I'm an eye-roller or a hand-thrower-upper, but I do wonder how many times my reaction to things has driven people away from me.

One thing I am learning about leadership is that I make decision with a lot more information than I am often at liberty to share when I am communicating the decision. This gap is very difficult to manage and I am looking forward to growing in how to handle it. Because of this gap, the reaction to some of my decisions, leadership style, and even motives gets challenged. The question is not "if" these things will be challenged, but when and how often. My issue becomes how I will react when my leadership is challenged. Will I do the eye roll or will I connect with the person to make sure I understand their concern? Will I throw my arms up in disgust or will I get back on the field and make another decision (throw another pass)?

My hunch is that people will remember my reaction in certain situations longer than they will remember most decisions. I also hope, then, that their memories are salted with Grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Grace = devine favor.... we live in a world that has nearly no grace for anyone. We so easily hold things against others. I am guilty of this. I want to imitate the Lord... because He has never-ending grace for me when I fall short and miss the mark every single day...yet I don't have a lot of grace for others. One example is that I have been struggling with a family relationship for many years, but where there has been a separation for over a year and I am asking God to help me forgive, but it is really hard. I need to have grace, but there is a lot of hurt that has been done to me, my wife, and my kids. I just pray that God works on my hard heart.