Friday, September 21, 2007

Don't Blink

There is a great country music song out right now called, "Don't Blink." It relays the story of a man turning 100 who talks about 100 years going faster than you think. We write each chapter of our life, but before we know it the chapter is completed and we're on to the next one.

-- Tomorrow, my daughter turns 8 and is getting her ears pierced. How did that happen?
-- A couple weeks ago, my boys turned 11 & started 5th grade. Huh?
-- It just hit me that next year is my 20th high school reunion. Say what?
-- I saw Desmond Howard doing a sideline report at a football game and they said he won the Heisman Trophy in 1991 - 16 years ago. No Way! I remember his punt return against Ohio State (I think) where he scored and then did the Heisman pose - that return sealed up the trophy for him. I literally remember it... that could not have been 16 years ago!
-- I remember my first kiss with my wife which was about 19 years and 60 pounds ago. Say it ain't so Joe.
-- I remember falling out of a car, holding on to the handle while my butt scraped along the road and my brother was yelling, "Let GO!" That was over 30 years ago. What? Is this a joke?
-- I remeber the shuttle exploding, Reagan getting shot, the Berlin Wall coming down, OJ (the first saga), hurricanes, and the Twin Towers coming down -- could that really have been 6 years ago?

My point? It's been a great run, but I realize now that I must run with my head back and my eyes open through life taking in everything God has to offer me through it. I don't want to blink and miss any of it.

1 comment:

Larry Fredlund said...

1 - She talked you out of waiting until she was 10. wimp v. warrior.
2 - When are boys going to start skipping grades, that will help!
3 - 2 years actually does very little to the personalities of people (just went to mine!) JM is still a jerk.
4 - what is a Desmond Trophy, and why is this your longest item?
5 - gross, and you shouldn't share your wife's weight (hi T)
6 - HAHAHA, if you recall, I waited until we hit 30mpg to yell "Let go"...I was wondering if you would bounce, slide or roll.
7 - Actually I think the Berlin wall was a positive thing, but if you want to lump in w/ the rest, you should include other bad things like...electing "W" Twice.

PS, you can let all of life pass you by, and then when your limbs give-out just WIKIPEDIA it all directly into your brain before you die. I'm sure the tech is coming, I know there's already a movie showing it's possible!

Ooops...I should be working.

-blink-