Thursday, September 6, 2007

Pittsburgh Cloud

As some of you know from the blogs and/or conversations, I feel I am at a critical juncture in my leadership development and training. For 15 years, my focus has been on the technical; the results; the achieving; the innovating; the systems. As I have been asked (and honored) to serve as Executive Pastor, I believe a large piece of that is because I can bring order to things that are a bit chaotic or, at minimum, less effective than they could be. I also feel I bring leadership that can motivate people to work to their full potential for both their own sake as well as the good of the mission of the organization. I believe I add ability to think strategically; to help an organization move from "vision" to "reality" (credit Bill Hybels).

These strengths are very helpful, but by themselves they allow for strong management of systems and processes. However, to move from management to true transformational leadership, there needs to be much more emphasis on building trust and respect through building relationships. I love people; I love spending one-on-one time with people and hearing their stories and dreams; I love learning from people and helping give insight to others. However, unless I am intentional, I have a tendency to take relationships for granted in my desire to get the work done. I am learning (at times the hard way) the true value of relationship-building (yes, sometimes it takes 2x4s to the head).

This brings me to my title for today. I spent about 1/2 of my flight to Pittsburgh yesterday reading Henry Cloud's book, "Integrity" which I did not expect would be another leadership lesson in building relationships. In the 40 pages or so I got through, Cloud beat me over the head about how integrity is really "wholeness" and how both results and people matter in the wholeness of leadership. Now, I'll need to re-read this later to see if this was even Cloud's key point, but it was the point I took away and needed to hear. For the sake of sparing you additional reading, I'll cut it short there.

As I pondered the past couple days of leadership development (voluntary and involuntary), I was in the shuttle from the airport to the hotel and we went from sort of a regular looking area of the city, under an overpass, and came out the otherside into a whoa! There was the river, the new stadiums, the construction for an under-river tunnel. It was like a whole new world. Almost immediately I started thanking God for putting into my head how the experience of going from regular city to this whole new world is like the transformation of my leadership will be like if I really embrace and apply the leadership lessons I'm learning.

I believe I have the potential to be the kind of leader God is calling me to be. The question is, do I have the humility and courage to change how I do leadership? I am so thankful for a pastor, a boss, a former boss, a mentor, a small group, friends, colleagues, and others who encourage me along the way, but also challenge me in this area. I'm thankful that God has not disqualified me from His calling simply because of my ineptitude, but that He is patient with me as I get hit by leadership 2x4s. I'm thankful that I'm transitioning from learning how to duck, to instead figuring out why the 2x4s are being swung. I'm thankful that I have a desire to be transformed in my heart and my leadership. I'm thankful that my heart passion is to do whatever I need to do to partner with God in the redemption, restoration, and transformation of the people of Isanti County and beyond. I'm thankful for people like you who have linked arms together to see lives transformed for this world and the next. Let's roll!

1 comment:

Larry Fredlund said...

Bro - Even though we "family" members must fall under the category of "others" who you are thankful for (ha ha!) I have this to offer. Ponder when the right time is for you to start (intentionally, and unapologetically) swinging 2x4's over the heads of others.

Your prior blog regarding the benefits of your mentorship were personal and close enough to me to make a shift in this topic for me from thought to action. I had a lunch w/ an old colleague two days ago, which I turned into a Q&A on "Boss Management" and am having a similar lunch with an old team of colleagues today which I've already pre-warned them I would like their input and Ideas on Team Management & Motivation. Another issue for me at work.

Thanks for the 2x4....it was more like a wimpy 1x2, but maybe that's all you can lift.

Later Lunch Boy.