Thursday, July 12, 2007

Aaah, Leadership!

I started an MBA self-assessment a couple months ago like this:

I believe leadership is a spiritual gift.
I believe not everyone has or can develop the gift of leadership.
I believe the gift of leadership comes with a tremendous amount of responsibility.
I believe I have the gift of leadership.
I believe claiming I have the gift of leadership and others do not can sound arrogant.
I believe leadership demands honesty.
I believe I am being honest.


Leadership carries an incredible responsibility with it. When we are in non-leadership roles, we often crave leadership because of the exposure, perceived power, recognition, etc, that comes with it. But we often don't consider what a difficult burden the leadership gift is to carry. Over the past couple of weeks, there have been many leadership trials in my Executive Pastor role. Over the past few weeks I've had interesting discussions about my process for hiring staff, issues around the implementation of the strategic plan, the potential around changing how we take our offering, establishment of new growth classes for Sunday morning, and others. Each of which has different perspectives and potential paths, but each of which I need to make a decision on that aligns with the purpose and core value of the ministry. These can be taxing and difficult times and often I just want to say, "Listen, I see the big picture and I want you to know that I'm making the best decision for the ministry and can you just trust me?" But in the church we are dealing with relationships which makes the non-profit leadership calling an even more daunting task.

But the good news is, God equips the called. He continues to bring people around me to encourage me in my gifting; He continues to lead me to wisdom and right thinking; I see Biblical examples of other leaders who have had to fight the good fight. From these I draw strength; I realize that God never called someone to do something that was "easy" (Noah, Moses, David, Paul, Peter, Jesus, etc). Through these trials I've felt my leadership gift develop further and I am even more motivated to live that out and "Lead with all diligence (Romans 12:8)."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, leadership is a challenge; but one I have watched you in for a long time in many areas. You are a thinker of all aspects of leadership decisions and consider others input...you are correct..it is not easy being in leadership; but it you have the talent and make-up for it; I feel it is wrong not to be a leader. May you continue...we need great leaders in so many areas. I know you are appreciated for those leadership roles and trusted in your decisions. God does not want us sitting back and not using the talents he blessed us with.el

Anonymous said...

as a leader I think it is also important to allow those you lead to lead you as well. one of the greatest gifts of leadership is the development of those around you and often believe that leadership is only burdensome when a leader tries to "go it alone." If others aren't seeing the "big picture" perhaps you need to work on ensuring the understanding is clear, because often times those you may feel are being difficult are also feeling called and God has equipped them also. relationships are part of any organization and should make everything we do opportunities.

Anonymous said...

"When the ten other disciples heard what James and John had asked, they were indignant. But Jesus called them together and said, "You know that in this world kings are tyrants, and officials lord it over the people beneath them. But among you it should be quite different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must become your slave. For even I, the Son of Man, came here not to be served but to serve others, and to give my life as a ransom for many."