Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Pickler Wisdom

I was listening to a country music station this morning and they interviewed Kelly Pickler (American Idol) who was commenting on the Lindsay Lohan situation and giving her advice to others. She said the greatest advice she could give is to surround yourselves with people that are like what you want to be. I appreciated her advice as it was beyond what typically we as parents think about our kids and our friends, which is that they hang out with "good" kids or they have "nice" friends.

I personally pursue relationships with people who have an aspect of their life developed that I also wish to develop. I don't desire to use them for my own gain, but to learn from them what they know, how they think, how they react, their perspectives, etc. There was a blessing that went with disciples (followers) as they began following their rabbi (teacher) back in old Jewish custom: "May you be covered in the dust of your rabbi's feet". This meant that they would follow so closely their teacher that even the dust from the teacher's sandals would settle on them. There is wisdom in that for us today. If we have a vision for our life and where we want to get to, it would help us greatly to surround ourselves with those who are already there or also walking it. It doesn't matter if this is leadership, art, chemistry, computer science, wood-working, bird-watching, fishing, or teaching -- we need to find people to learn from (apprenticeship).

Often we think that people won't take the time. I have found that people will take the time partially because they are honored and flattered for being asked. But I think the biggest reason people will sow into your life is that in order to achieve their "success" (whatever that looks like) they had to transform from being a consumer to being a producer. Now, as a producer, they will likely be willing to help us along our journey as well. The mentoring of others helps develop and complete their success.

Who knew Kelly Pickler would solidify my core belief that mentoring and networking are important in seeing my life vision fulfilled. Thank you to my mentors, teachers, and colleagues who continue to inspire and push me toward my life vision.

No comments: