Monday, July 9, 2007

Shotgun Monday

Well, back it again this morning after a great weekend. Today is my one day each week that I work in the office fulfilling my church duties; as I sit here in front of my $7 Walgreens mini-fan (already trying to stay cool) I find myself trying to figure out and focus on what are the "main things" to do today.

Sometimes the Exeuctive Pastor role is like someone shooting a shotgun toward me, with pellets flying in every direction and I need to figure out which ones need to be paid attention to first. If I focus on all of the pellets, it is likely I won't even be able to move as it is to much to process; if I can wipe out the ones headed right for me, I can then concentrate on the other, less potentially critical ones. But that is hard because each issue is critical to someone else and in churches, like most other places, people don't appreciate the number of issues and concerns that leaders need to juggle and prioritize. Today will be a struggle to take care of the critical pellets while letting the other pellets know that they really are important, but just not the top priority. Does this even make sense? I don't think the shotgun analogy was that good, but then again, the blog is a minor pellet.

2 comments:

Crash said...

Don't we all have days like that? Whether it be at work or at home, with the kids or the spouse? It gives us a chance to sit back and realize how great God is and thank him for all things, no matter how big or small they are to us.

Larry Fredlund said...

Somedays, when I really want to feel like I accomplished something, I let the pellets zip by, and simply bend over and pick-up the wads left behind after the firing squad has left. Ha, little do they know, they didn't even hit me.