Friday, July 20, 2007

Community

I went to the Twins game yesterday afternoon as part of a work outing. It was quite fun although the twins lost in extra innings. For much of the game I was consumed with the idea of how a sports team and event create such community. I've been to many games before and thought about this a bit, but it was really striking to me yesterday. Baseball is a game played for entertainment by people who get paid a huge amount of money, yet it has the power to create community.

I started thinking about a conversation I had the day before with a former boss about how I felt the employers of choice in the future will be those who can create not a great "workforce" but a great "community of workers." I believe with the movement into post-modernism (there I go again), we will see radical changes in churches (9% of worshippers are now in house churches, up from 1% just a few years ago) and in the labor force (part-time, flexible schedules, etc). There is a tremendous hunger for community and people are willing to make whatever adjustments they need to make in order to achieve it.

I think the appeal of things like sports, fantasy sports, MySpace, etc, is that it leads to community. I believe God created us to be in a community of co-dependent relationships. Our modern era with technology of email, internet, video conferencing, iPhones, etc, has led us into more relationships, but with less depth and less face-time. I believe that our need for community is no longer being met by our day-to-day activities of work, etc, and so we are looking for community wherever we can find it.

There exists a tremendous opportunity for churches to create that community. Many mainstream churches are declining in membership not because what they teach is not relevant or has somehow become outdated, but because these churches are missing the point that people are starving for real, authentic community and the traditional styles have not adapted to provide that to this new generation. Churches that seem to understand the power of connection and community are seeing growth.

Of course, every community comes with a set of unique individuals. Each is in community together, but with very different perspectives. Consider those at the twins game:
- Analytical/Thinkers - those writing down all that happened (keeping book)
- New/Naive - didn't really get baseball and were asking questions to try to understand
- Informed but not engrossed - knew what was going on, but were busy with other conversation
- Fanatics - the guys who were flipping the bird to the other team and trying to get us all to do the wave
- Blind followers - people that cheered (or booed) because others did, even though they didn't see what happened
- Wounded - the ones that life seems to smack upside the head (like the woman with red hair who got nailed by a foul ball at the game)

As leaders, our job will increasingly become more and more about creating community; a sense of belonging. With that we need to understand that a community is still a set of individuals with very distinct backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. That is a challenge, but also a great source of excitement and potential.

3 comments:

Larry Fredlund said...

I agree that many long to find their place in the world, and/or to feel that they are a part of their community.
One problem is time, the other training.
Community (or friendships) require dedicated time to develop. Until we busy beavers (here!) awaken from our urgent waking coma, getting stuff done will remain a top priority. Hopefully after immediate family.

If there is free time, or more likely, because there is no free time, many use "escapism" or "fantasy" rather than community to take a break from urgency.

Getting someone to re-value, re-prioritize or spend some of their time on purely "community" events is indeed a challenge.

If you are successful, the next step is going to have to be training.....I still cannot "work a room" and talk with the folks that I should meet and greet and get to know without a legitimate purpose or end. e.g. I did just attend nad help at one of our small group feed the homeless functions (Time) But I didn't go the extra step of meeting, chatting and making connections with others who were there, even with a demonstration of how to do this happening right in front of me(Training).
I this selfish world we live in, my time is precious, and most of the time I don't feel like casting it away on things as trivial as getting to know people. I'll help them out, but do I really want to be that open, or get to know them, or worse yet, what if they get to know me? Step 3 - Overcoming Fear.

I wonder how soon I will regret pressing ENTER after opening up "too much"?

Steve Fredlund said...

Thanks for sharing that; I think many of us struggle with not making "small talk." But I think community is more than just having acquaintances; it is about doing life together. Your part in feeding the homeless was an act of service and talking with them would have been an act of love by caring about who they are and what they are going for - this intentional service and unconditional love are part of the way we are called to live.... but that is not community. Community is about belonging to something bigger than yourselves to the point of having freedome to be who you are.

I think we all get a bit jealous when we watch a beer commercial and see all the guys high fiving in front of the TV as they watch a ball game while eating snacks and putting down some cold ones; we (I) wish we had buddies like that - that we could just enjoy each other and the game unencumbered by life's worries. That is why this type of marketing works so well; the advertiser of the "cold ones" wants you to start associating their product with community, friendships, and doing life together. The challenge for us is, as you said, prioritizing community-based relationships - this is not about "putting in your time" or performing, but in taking a genuine interest in finding people to do life with.

Your comment about "escapism" or "fantasty" was great. I believe sports in themselves do create community, but perhaps very surfacy community to the point of "escapism." Although I enjoy the community of the Twins crowd, I won't be calling them when a family tragedy hits or I have a key career decision to make. The Bible talks about the need to have oil in the lamps before the lamp is needed - I think building these type of community relationships is essential, but many people don't realize they need them until it is too late and something happens without that build in support.

Thanks for the dialogue - good stuff.

Paul B. said...

Yes Steve, I do read your blogs.

I like what Larry F. said about Time. It is one of my biggest competitors. It is also one of the things in my life that I'm in control of. Satan can steal your time with out you even knowing it.

Your last blog about the blind spot is a page out of Living Free. It is great to have anyone in your life that trusts and loves you enough to let you know what your blind spots are so you can change them. That's why I'm into small groups and making new and lasting relationships. It has helped me in my walk with Christ.

You are one of the people in my life that is as interesting as I think you are. Keep it up.