Friday, July 13, 2007

Carp Distraction

I had lunch with my brother yesterday (actually he bought and brought me lunch) and we walked across the Stone Arch Bridge in Minneapolis discussing our work situations, etc. I was excited that we were walking there because I wanted to show him the huge fish (I think they are carp) that swim around in the shallows of the Mississippi by the bridge. We were able to see them quite clearly and a number of them were huge - I told him that after work one day last week I tried to catch them, but didn't have any live bait; just picked up a can of corn at the Holiday station.

Anyway, we would be chatting and I would get distracted by the fish... "Oh, man, look at that one" or "Check out those three right there." I don't know if he got frustrated with my fish distraction or not, but afterward I realized it was probably quite annoying to be sharing about your life and work and have your brother apparently more interested in a few carp. It started me thinking that maybe that is how I am with God... I'm guessing there are times when He is really trying to teach me something about myself or open my eyes to some sort of injustice and perhaps I listen initially but then get distracted. Listening is a critical tool for building and sustaining relationships and I think the same holds true with spiritual things. I've got to make sure I'm not checking out the carp when God wants to change my heart.

Speaking of fish, I may not be able to do a posting tomorrow as we are going to a cabin -- I'll get back to ya Sunday.

2 comments:

Larry Fredlund said...

Bro - don't worry about the carp. If I didn't believe in A.D.D. then I would diagnose myself with what I prefer to call "lack of focus" long ago! Perhaps our awareness, acknowledgement, and intended action towards correction would ... look a bird.

PS if you scan my blog, over half the feedback I got back from co-workers was related to my lack of focus.

Anonymous said...

I have only one thing to say...I love you both and am so proud of you and your relationship. Thank you. el