Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Delegated Will?

So, yesterday, a co-worker and I were making decision on staff positions at church. Whenever I am in charge of deciding who will get a job and who will not, I have internal chaos because I feel like I hold part of the future of these individuals in my hands. This responsibility is usually magnified in the church setting because I get to hear things like, "Well, I'll get it if it is God's will." This is a difficult thing for me to understand and reconcile. Since I am the one making the decision on who will get the job, does this mean the God has delegated His will for this other person's life to me? I already recognize the hiring process as a huge responsibility of bringing character, chemistry, and competency that align with the vision and purpose of the church; but now, the responsibility seems to have escalated to carrying out God's will for this person's life.

I take the hiring process seriously and pray that the Holy Spirit will give me wisdom and discernment, but to think I could cause someone's life to move against God's will is almost unbearable. So what do we do with that? Does God really have a perfect "will" for each one of our lives and failure to carry out each element causes a ripple effect that results in our whole life being malaligned with God? If I marry the person that was not part of God's will for my life, it seems I have now undermined God's will in my life, my spouse's life, the life of the person my spouse was supposed to marry, the life of the children we have, the unborn lives of the children I should have had, and generations after that. The threat of being outside of God's will can cause paralysis. Further, if my parents married each other outside of God's will, which means I exist outside of God's will, then how can I ever re-align with His perfect will for my life? Does He have a back-up will for me conditional upon the situation I was born into?

Could it be that God's will for our life is not so much about doing all the right things as it is experiencing the abundant life He said He came to give us (John 10:10)? Could it be that this abundant life is experiencing all of those things that come to us along with living life by the Holy Spirit: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22)? Could it be that our life is less about a series of appropriate actions and more about an extravagant freedom and joy from simply having life?