Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Post-Modern Actuary?

I think I am a post-modern, although some would say I'm too old for that. There is a lot of discussion occurring around modernity and post-modernity, especially in regard to churches and worship style - perhaps you are more familiar with the controversial term "Emergent" (as in we are emerging from a modern view of life). This is a theory that we are in the middle of another shift in world paradigm; much like when we shifted from the Midieval Age to the Modern Age. Post-Modernity is not about being better than modernity, but it is about what does society look like that has gone through modernity. It makes for some interesting discussion and reading.

I believe I have always been modern, but in recent years I've really struggled with people over-analyzing everything, especially things that pertain to God. I've always struggled with those people who always have "the answer" to whatever the situation or who know that their interpretation of something is the only right way. I'm not ready to say I'm a pluralist; I believe their is absolute truth. However, how can different people with right motives who have dedicated their life to uncovering truth around a certain issue reach different conclusions? What does that tell us about absolute truth? How can people not even acknowledge the fact that there may be another perspective on things?

The reason I think I am post-modern is that instead of focusing on analyzing something to death and not settling until I find the one unmistakable answer, I find myself drawn more to the experience of learning, reading, and understanding. Take the Bible for instance: Whenever I've read the Bible in the past, I've tried to understand relationships and places and customs; those things are good to know and important in understanding the context of the story, but I was drawn to these things more like a "Trivial Pursuit" type of draw - in order to know facts. As I've gotten older, I've found myself wanting to understand those things for context, but the focus has become more on experiencing God and trying to hear what His heart is for me, all people, and the world.

I don't know if this is making sense and I'm not saying I'm right on this stuff; my point is that God seems to be moving my heart from "formula" to "experience" and it seems I'm not alone.

No comments: