Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Relationship Breakthrough

Today I had the opportunity to have a heart-to-heart conversation with a great friend. After some discussion, we found out the the struggle we were having in our relationship was due to just being wired different. My buddy is wired with needing frequent and quality time to maintain a relationship (if it isn't growing deeper, the relationship is fading) whereas I am wired in such a way that I could go months without even speaking to someone and be able to pick up the friendship right where it left off (and at the same depth). This breakthrough paved the way to a deeper understanding of how each of us ticks and has allowed us more grace for the other person. I now realize the importance of frequency of contact with him and he now understands why it might seem like I go weeks without contact and then just "waltz back into his life." Only through our honest and frank discussions of our feelings were we able to reach the point of true growth in our friendship. I'll get back to him in a couple months and tell him how much I appreciated that :) ....

1 comment:

Tracy said...

make it a year ;)