Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A fan of fans

Fans (as in wind generating desktop fans) are interesting to me (as my readers you realize that many mundane things are interesting to me). Here's why: They have a very limited scope of responsibility, a very specific use, they can do it for a long time without a break and over a long calendar life. I have a $7.99 Walgreens desk fan blowing on me right now and it just keeps on churning without a lot of fan fare, but its purpose is very important to me (and the rest of the staff and family that would suffer the ramifications of me not constantly surrounded by a fan).

If I were to use my fan as a hammer, it wouldn't last as long. Even if I used it as a hammer once, its purpose as a fan would likely forever be hampered. Using it as a fork to eat waffles would likely have the same result. My point is that a fan is created for a specific purpose and when used for that purpose there is nothing else that can do its job as well; however, used for the wrong purpose it will not be as effective as the right tool and will likely hinder the purpose it was designed for.

I think people are like fans in that each of us have been designed with a specific purpose. If we allow ourselves to be used for something else, it just doesn't work. We may not even realize it's not working, but others see it. But when we operate where we were designed to operate, nothing is as effective. It is important for each of us to take the time to discover what we were designed to do (this requires self-assessment, mentors, counsellors, etc) and commit to operating in that space. Only then will we operate in our purpose day after day with seemingly little effort (like these mini fan blades on my desktop fan). I love my fan and I think my fan knows it....

No comments: