Monday, July 30, 2007

Rock mountain humility

Yesterday (Sunday) was a great day of church, Grandmas, and swimming. We decided to cap it off as a family by hitting one of the area lakes for a little bull-head hunting (i.e. fishing). The last several times we have gone to Goose Lake so we decided to mix it up a bit and go to Little Horshoe (where we hadn't been for a few years). As we arrived at the public launch area, we found that they had re-done it; well, actually they dumped a bunch of rock where the landing area is. After considering briefly if we should try to conquer this landing with our front-wheel drive, low clearance mini-van (this is called foreshadowing), we decided to go for it. I backed the boat into the water and then got out to take a look.... the trailer was all the way in the water, but the boat was still above the surface (the lake stays quite shallow for a while near the shore). The van, however, was at quite the angle after conquering the rock mountain. So the conundrum was, do we keep backing in and put the van on the other side of the mountain or just decide to cut our losses and head out to Goose. We decided to cut our losses and the troops loaded back up to head out.

A front-wheel drive, low clearance mini-van trying to drive through loose rock with a trailer and boat behind and below it is akin to driving through deep snow in a Yugo. As I tried to drive, the tires dug in, rocks when flying, and we ended up buried. I disconnected the boat and started trying to get us out. I could go on and on about this joy as we kept digging out and trying again. The rocks were packed into the undercarriage. I had the entire family out digging (one of whom was instead trying to start a fire with two of these rocks instead of working, but this young person shall remain nameless). We got out the oars and were scraping rocks from underneath, digging out the tires, etc. This went on for about 30-40 minutes, sweat was just pouring off of me, my steel-plate & screws leg enjoyed floundering around on the rocks, and my rheumatoid-arthritis hands enjoyed digging out rocks. Finally, with the family watching from a distance, I was able to rock the beast back and forth and eventually get out. Phwew! There was great excitement... until I realized we now needed to get the boat & trailer out of the muck & mire and up rock mountain to where the van was.

OK, troops, fall in. I grabbed the toungue of the trailed to lift and pull while my family walked into the water and all pushed from the back of the boat. We made progress little by little as I counted off 1-2-3 and lifted while they pushed as best they could. After about 10 minutes of this, we were getting there but I started feeling light headed (no, I don't drink enough water even in this heat & humidity). Just then a couple strapping young lads showed up in the four-wheel drive SUV to do some fishing. They came over and asked if they could help; withouth hesitation I said, "Yeah, you could do my job" and I went and sat down to fight off the dizziness. With just about 10 feet to go, they helped my family get the trailer to the van and then my wife brought me water and my daughter gave me a backrub. I got up after about 5 minutes down, hooked up the trailer and we were on our way -- we "celebrated" our defeat and victory with Dairy Queen instead of fishing.

There is a lot in there that could preach (mountains in our life, hard rocks can still provide poor traction, making poor decisions, the power of family/teamwork, our roles in community struggles, etc), but the key take away from me after the fact was "laying down our pride." As a guy, to admit we need help (especially to other guys) and to accept someones offer seem to be signs of weakness. A few years ago, I would have shunned those guys offer to help ("no, we're fine") or at the very least just let them help under my leadership. However, yesterday, I just said, "Yeah, could you do my job." My weary body needed a break, there was someone offering to give it to me, and I took it. Is that weakness or intelligence? Independence or dependence? Going solo or community?

My wife and I were amazed and how quickly I took them up on their offer. I think without that five minute break, I may have passed out. It was quite the day - one never knows what will happen when we put ourselves in situations where something can happen. The adventure continues...

1 comment:

Larry Fredlund said...

I cannot quit laughing . . . . . . I'm sorry, I just cannot stop. ‘nuf said. Don’t suppose you could put a photograph of this "event" on your Christmas cards this year? HaHaHa! Your older, and now confirmed, wiser brother.