Friday, July 6, 2007

Incompletions...

I wonder what it is that causes me to fall short of ultimate completion of certain things. Don't get me wrong, I consider myself very responsible and thorough, but just this morning I was hit with the realization of a couple of situations where I made significant progress on something, but have not fully completed it even though only an easy part remains.

I have an old clubhouse in the backyard. When we moved into the place about 8 years ago it was freestanding on 4x4s, which I stabilized and added stairs to. As the kids grew, they showed less interest in the clubhouse and so a couple of years ago we decided to get rid of it. Last year I was able to cut it down and get it into a pile in the corner of our back yard; the final step was just cutting it up into managable chunks and hauling it away or burning it up.... this is still not done.

About 2 weeks ago we returned from a week-long vacation in which we had no television; it was great! Upon our return we decided that we were going to watch very little television and, in fact, would make sense to cancel our satellite dish service. We have done a great job of watching very little television and we have seen an increase in our family productivity and bonding. The final step was to just cancel the dish service... this is still not done.

These have me wondering if there are other areas in my life journey where I have done the hard work of eliminating sin, forgiving those who have wronged me, loving my neighbors, living life large in freedom and joy, etc, but still have an additional step left. Since this idea hit me this morning, I've not had time to ruminate on this... I trust that any unfinished business will be revealed to me.

No comments: