Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Next Chapter

Like turning the page to a new chapter, my life took another exciting twist today. I just found out that I have been approved to reduce my time as an investment actuary to 60% which allows me to spend two days in the office in my role as Executive Pastor. After an 8-month stretch of transition and uncertainty (in many elements of our life), I once again sense my life finding its rhythm. Reducing my corporate job means only three days with two hours of commute time; it means spending two weekdays working in my home town and occassionally having lunch with my wife and/or kids. The increase in ministry hours means expending more energy preparing for our "re-launch" this fall as we add an additional service and several new programs; it means focusing more energy implementing the recently completed strategic plan; it means spending energy on the land we recently acquired and the building we plan to construct; it means more relationship building with staff and other leaders (tough to do on one meeting-filled day per week).

Like every major life decision there is a series of doubts and concerns that flood in; this, of course, is exacerbated by some of the people who feel free to speak into your life. In my case there are people that feel I am "throwing away a great potential career" or "shooting down my potential." I am glad I have done the amount of self-assessment I have and developed confidence not only in my ability, but in what makes me tick. I can say with assurance that this blend of 60% investment actuary and 40% Executive Pastor is perfect right now for me in terms of intellectual stimulation, leadership, management, technical problem solving, ministry, family time, and finances. I'm sure I will continue to question my situation: should I be full-time in corporate America? should I be full-time as Executive Pastor? should I be starting a new church? should I be seeking a business or government leadership position in my home town? But for now, I feel absolutely blessed to be in the position I am in; I'm excited for the challenge; I'm excited for the Great Adventure! Saddle up!

No comments: